Wednesday, February 3, 2010

True Track Glucose

I picked this meter mainly because it was the cheapest one in Walgreens, back when I was first diagnosed and before I even knew that meters vary so much when it comes to quality. I started to get nervous about the TrueTrack later on after reading all the poor reviews.

So I decided to bring the meter to my doctor's appointments and compare my results. On three separate occasions, the TrueTrack was within at least two points of the doctor's office. I even brought my TrueTrack with me when I had lab work done at a separate facility and my meter had me just one point off from the lab's reading.

My readings always reflect how I feel. I have another discount meter (not a TrueTrack, but that's supposedly of higher quality) that reads me 14-41 points higher than the TrueTrack. I thought the TrueTrack was deceiving me, but of course I trust the doctor's office laboratory way more than I do this other meter.

The test strips are a little expensive. They almost always come with coupons inside the box, which can help. I don't think the meter is all that complicated, but if have yet to use one, then you should probably watch the instructional videos online. You need to do this to calibrate the meter.

Remember, if you are getting weird results on your meter, then you need to calibrate the meter to make sure it's correct. Also, testing yourself several times in a row in just a few minutes will just mess up your results. You need to wait at least half an hour between testings on the same meter. If none of these tips work, you should call the manufacturer of ANY broken meter and DEMAND you get a new one...a working one!!